MICHAEL J. PITTON
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D. with distinction (1977)
Creighton University B.A. cum laude in psychology (1974)
Certified Mediation and Arbitration Training, Dispute Resolution Institute at Hamline University School of Law and Mediation Center (1994)
- Private practice attorney in states of Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois (1977 to present)
- Trial and appellate counsel in cases representing both plaintiffs and defendants
- Arbitrator for over 15 years through American Arbitration Association and by private appointment
- Supreme Court certified Arbitration and Mediation training
- AV-rated in Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Included in nationwide Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Insurance Claims and Loss
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Commercial, Business and Corporate Disputes
- Employment, Trade Secret, Non-Competition and Discrimination
- Will Contests, Fiduciary and Probate Claims
- Contracts and Consumer Issues
- Real Estate and Construction
- University of Iowa College of Law Adjunct Faculty (2002 to present) — Biography available online at www.law.uiowa.edu/faculty/michael-pitton.php
- Advisor to Legislative Task Force of the Iowa State Bar Association — analysis and recommendations to Iowa Legislature for proposed amendments to arbitration statutes and adoption of the Revised Uniform Arbitration Act with modifications.
Wide-ranging litigation practice involving court and jury trials, appellate court proceedings, arbitration hearings, administrative hearings, and mediations including the following areas of law:
- Arbitration, Mediation, Negotiation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Commercial, Business, Employment and Trade Secret Law
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Torts, Insurance, Civil Rights and Contracts
- Probate, Land Use and Real Estate Litigation
Teaching at University of Iowa College of Law
- Arbitration: Law and Theory (2002-2013)
- Arbitration: Practice and Advocacy (2009-2014)
- Advanced Arbitration (2004–2008)
- Arbitration Advocacy Competition (2010–2014)
- National Arbitration Competition Team (2013) courses for upper level law students
Effective Use of Arbitration in Iowa, for annual fall seminar of the American Academy of ADR Attorneys in Des Moines, Iowa.
Introduction to Arbitration, Participating in Arbitration Proceedings, Judicial Review of Arbitration Awards and Ethical Issues in Arbitration (Program Chair) for alternative dispute resolution seminar sponsored by the University of Iowa College of Law in Iowa City, Iowa.
Judicial Review of Arbitration Awards (Program Chair) for alternative dispute resolution seminar sponsored by the American Academy of Alternative Dispute Resolution Attorneys in Dubuque, Iowa.
The Future of Arbitration – Good or Bad (Panel Moderator) to the Fifth Annual International Alternative Dispute Resolution Society World Congress in Des Moines, Iowa.
Is Arbitration Another Solution to An Overburdened and Underfunded Judicial System – Insights and Alternatives from the New Task Force Recommendations joint presentation to the Fourth Annual International Alternative Dispute Resolution Society World Congress in Des Moines, Iowa.
Arbitration: Nuts & Bolts to the American Academy of Alternative Dispute Resolution Attorneys in Johnston, Iowa.
Mediation-Arbitration, What You Should Know, Alternative Dispute Resolution Seminar, joint presentation sponsored by the Iowa State Bar Association in Des Moines, Iowa.
Practical Solutions in Proposing Mediation/Arbitration to the American Academy of Alternative Dispute Resolution Attorneys in Iowa City, Iowa.
21st Century Employment Law-Protecting Tomorrow Today to Chamber of Commerce in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Premises Liability to the Chapter of American Society for Industrial Security in Davenport, Iowa.
Expert Testimony and the Impact of Medical Records to association of Physical Therapists in Coralville, IA.
Current Board Affiliations
- Board of Directors, American Academy of Alternative Dispute Resolution Attorneys
- Council Member, Iowa State Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Section